Tropical Gardens UK: Why I Hate Exotic Gardens


Ok, so I accept that 'why I hate exotic gardens' is a bit strong in this context (especially the 'hate' part) but I do get really frustrated in the Spring by the lack of seasonal interest in tropical effect gardens. Of course Lorna does not agree with me but I feel I have made a decent case against what appears to be the current fashion.

If you are going to plant up a strictly exotic garden then you will have a long wait until you have a rich and fulfilling display of plants. In most cases this won't happen until about June which means you have to wait a good three months while your plants sit and wait (mostly underground) until it is warm enough for them to emerge, sprout, blom etc.

This is all well and good in a public display, where you have set you certain arbitrary parameters, as you have a choice not to visit it. However when you trying to achieve this in a private garden you are going to have to get used to a desolate show for the entire spring!

If you would like to see more content like this then check out our YouTube channel 'Walking Talking Gardeners'. It is absolutely free to subscribe and you can unsubscribe at any time.

No comments: