Orchid Cactus (Disocactus ackermannii) Winter Disaster


Oh my goodness, my orchid cacti have been absolutely fine wintering outside for the past 6 years, then this year they have been absolutely smashed! 

If you didn't know before, Orchid cactus - Disocactus ackermannii is an species of epiphytic cactus that occurs in the cloud forests of Veracruz and Oaxaca, in Mexico. It is a gorgeous, evergreen plant with an arching trailing habit and produces dark green, long, flattened leaves which are only 2-3 inches wide but up to 36 inches long! Usually tough as old boots I like to grow it outside hanging from my trees.

This year however a polar vortex descended on the garden and stayed for a couple of weeks, just long enough to kill a lot of my 'on-the-edge' hardy plants. Even the back up plan cacti in the greenhouse were frozen to mush! Luckily it wasn't a complete disaster as you will find out in this video.


No comments: